Jacksonville Florida is one of the few places with a wide variety of things to do without that big city feel. Spend the day at the beach or boating in the channels of the St. Johns River. For architect fans, visit the diverse historic districts of Riverside or Springfield. If you are in the mood for a little culture, Jacksonville offers art museums, theater, symphony and music year round. Discover the reasons to live, work, & play in Jacksonville.
Live, Work, & Play in Jacksonville
1. Outdoor Activities – If you like water, you’ll like Jacksonville. The heart of the city is located on the St. Johns River, where you’ll find all sorts of recreational waterway traffic and activity. One of my favorite pastimes is cruising on the river near downtown Jacksonville at night and taking in the views of the illuminated cityscape.
No matter where you live in Jacksonville, you’re a short drive away from the Atlantic Ocean, which can be accessed from a variety of laid-back beach communities.
The surrounding waters makes Jacksonville a popular fishing destination. Inshore or offshore, there are plenty of spots to cast a line and catch a fish or two.
For land lovers, Jacksonville offers a variety of recreational parks. Enjoy nature at the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve, ride the trails at Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park, enjoy nature at the Jacksonville Arboretum, or sleep under the stars at one of the waterfront campsites in Huguenot Memorial Park.
2. Sports: Jacksonville has both professional and semi-professional sports teams, including the NFL’s Jacksonville Jaguars, the Arena Football League’s Jacksonville Sharks, American Basketball Association’s Jacksonville Giants and the Jacksonville Suns Baseball team.
Two notable collegiate football events in Jacksonville each year are the annual Florida-Georgia game and the Gator Bowl. The FL-GA game, known as “The World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party” is played at EverBank Field in October. EverBank Field also is the site of the Gator Bowl, which is played on or around New Year’s Day.
Finally, all golf enthusiasts have Jacksonville on their radars, as there are more than 70 public and private courses in the area. Also, the Tournament Players Club at Sawgrass in nearby Ponte Vedra Beach is the site of the PGA Tour headquarters and hosts the Players Championship in May.
3. Music: Jacksonville supports a vibrant music scene. Several well known music legends old and new spent time or got their start here:
- The Allman Brothers Band
- Lynyrd Skynyrd
- Molly Hatchet
- Limp Bizkit
- Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
- Derek Trucks
- Quad City DJ’s
- 95 South
- 69 Boyz
If music festivals are your thing – you’re in luck. With popular festivals such as Welcome to Rockville festival, Jacksonville Jazz Fest, and Springing in the Blues, music lovers of all kind are sure to be in heaven.
4. Downtown: Downtown Jacksonville has a lot to offer – from art to fine dining – there is something fun and interesting for just about everyone.
- Art Walk
- Downtown Vision
- Jacksonville Main Library
- Memorial Park
- Florida Theater
- Jacksonville Symphony Orchestra
- Jacksonville Landing
5. Riverside/Avondale/San Marco: Just south of Downtown on the west side of the St. Johns is Riverside, which is perhaps Jacksonville’s edgiest locale. In 2010 the American Planning Association designated the larger Riverside-Avondale area one of the year’s Top 10 neighborhoods, an honor that also has been bestowed on Park Slope in Brooklyn, N.Y. and Pike Place Market in Seattle.
Riverside: Saturday Art Market
6. Family Activities: Jacksonville just happens to be a wonderful place to raise a family. With lots of events and activities for kids to do year around, you can ensure your little ones have the time of their lives while growing up in the First Coast.
7. St. Johns Town Center: The St. Johns Town Center is Jacksonville’s most popular outdoor retail destination. This large strip mall features such big-name anchor stores as Nordstrom, Barnes & Noble and Best Buy, as well as Apple, Dick’s Sporting Goods, and Louis Vuitton. It’s the perfect place to enjoy quality shopping and grab a bite to eat at one of the popular restaurants.
Looking for a new home town, Jacksonville Florida, may be the place for you. Want to try it out without making the plunge right away? Traditions Realty can help. With a full service agency offering property management and sales, we can put you in a place temporarily and let you get to know your new digs before you commit. Want to jump into the market and take advantage of the low interest rates and all time low prices for homes? We can help you find that beach condo, historic bungalow, or river front estate.