There are a few things that every property owner in Jacksonville has in common, and one of these things is the need for home owners insurance. Home owners insurance is what protects your home from devastating events like Hurricane damage, robbery and other unpredictable occurrences.
The problem is that home owner insurance is incredibly pricey. This is especially true in Jacksonville, as while North Florida isn’t as susceptible to storm damage as the South or Gulf Coast, Jacksonville is still part of the state with the most frequent occurrence of hurricanes. This means that on top of the average cost of home owners insurance Jacksonville property owners need to look into flood insurance, as well.
Finding Affordable Home Owners Insurance
Finding affordable home owners insurance is not impossible. Once you find your perfect property sale or close on your short sale or foreclosures, consider these tips to find home owners insurance that fits your budget:
Shop around: In this market you have options. Don’t settle for the first option you find. While you might not think so at first, there is room to debate how much you are paying. Call around and make sure representatives know you are doing your research.
Improve the safety of your home: This is something many new-homeowners especially over look. Taking small steps to improve the safety of your home can mean major savings on your home insurance.
The following precautions can add up to major savings on your home owners insurance bill:
- Install a security system
- Update smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
- Install fire escapes for the upper floors if necessary
- Update your electrical systems
- Remove and flammable substances from your home
- Ensure the driveway and sidewalks are free of large cracks or damage that may cause harm
- Install handrails along your stairs
- Enclose your pool with a fence or screen
- Install a sprinkler system to guard against fires
- Purchase a fire extinguisher
Despite the old saying, “safety first” isn’t the most popular motto of new homebuyers. Making it your motto can help you save money on your home owners insurance. Also, preparing your new property sale in Jacksonville for any hurricane damage may potentially lower your home owners insurance bill, as well.