Many people think once the rainy season in Jacksonville is over, so is the risk of mold in their home. The truth is that high water levels and humidity impact your property throughout the year. If allowed to grow unchecked inside your home, mold can damage both the structure or even your family’s health. Traditions Realty would like to share a few tips to help you prevent mold from causing home damage.
Prevent Mold From Causing Home Damage
- Reduce clutter: Mold develops in dark, covered places that aren’t cleaned regularly. The more clutter around your home, office, garage, or other storage area, the greater the risk for developing mold.
- Clean carpets regularly: Don’t just vacuum, use a rug deep-cleaner to remove any potential mold build-up from your carpets. This is especially important to do if any water accumulates in your home.
- Ventilate Bathrooms: Ensure bathroom fans are vented to the outside and keep them running during—and for 15 minutes after—showers.
- Regulate Temperatures: Temperatures too high or too low will encourage mold growth. Try keeping your home at a steady 78 degrees to avoid mold growth.
- Check for leaks: Check roof, windows, and appliances such as air conditioners and water heaters for leaks and repair any that are found.
Under the house: Check basements and under the house for moisture or leaks. Apply black plastic to ground to reduce humidity or make repairs where necessary.
- Keep windows shut: The weather is nice in Jacksonville and you want to let the sunshine in. You can open the blinds, but leave the windows themselves shut. This will reduce energy costs while also reducing your home’s risk of growing mold
- Filter the Air: Opt for a high quality air filter with HVAC units, and change it regularly.
Check out the EPA’s Interactive Mold Tour. Room-by-room, you’ll learn about common mold issues and how to address them.
Mold can increase your risk of developing severe health problems, including headaches, sinus infections and even certain forms of cancer. Stay smart and protect your home from mold. While you can follow these tips to help prevent mold, if you find mold in your home, make sure you contact a professional to safely clean it up.
Looking to buy or sell in Jacksonville? Traditions Realty is a full service Real Estate Agency, specializing in Sales, Tenant Placement & Property Management. Contact our Traditions Realty agents online or at (904) 683.5230 today.